Interested in building and running a successful house flipping business? We would like to help you! At Select Home Ventures LLC, we have been profitably flipping houses for over 10 years! We have operated in both hot and cold markets. These tools will work for you too!
We had a problem with construction in the beginning. Every contractor conducts business in a different way. They expect to control both the payment schedule and the work sequence. The problem was that they didn’t communicate either clearly.
When we can’t understand the process, how can we gauge progress? How can we know when to award the next progress payment(draw)? How can we protect the investment? What do we do when the contractor demands a progress payment(draw)? Should we award payment just because he says so? Believe it or not, that is just what we did in the beginning. Unfortunately, we learned the hard way that not all contractors are trustworthy! We knew that we had to solve this problem. We needed a system that could clearly communicate the construction process. The system had to show progress and arrange contractor payments based on performance.
How would you organize and sequence construction? There are an uncountable number of possible construction tasks. These tasks must be completed in a particular order. This took a while, but we created the system. We use it for every flip house!
The SHV Construction Sequence has 6 construction phases. The phases are logical groupings where progress payments make sense.
- Phase 1 Prepare – Prepare for the project. This includes obtaining all of the necessary documentation to make sure you are legally and physically ready for the work. Then you will physically prepare the house for the rehabilitation with demolition and removal of the old structure and materials.
- Phase 2 Weathertight – Build, rebuild, or extend the structure and make the exterior safe from the weather. The skeleton of the house is framed in wood, concrete, or metal. The house will then have floors, walls, ceilings, and roof structures. Finally, the windows, doors, and outer coatings are applied to secure the house.
- Phase 3 Rough In – There is work inside and outside. Inside, we rough-in or repair the house mechanical systems. These are electric, plumbing, and heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC). The ducts, pipes, and wires will all be in place within the walls, ceilings, and attics when this is complete. Outside, the roof, downspouts, and exterior concrete structures are installed.
- Phase 4 Fill Out – Begin installing finish work. This includes drywall, paint, flooring, and cabinetry.
- Phase 5 Trim Out – The inside surfaces and mechanical systems are completed.
- Phase 6 Finish Details – Inside all of the accessories are completed and outside the landscaping is completed. Then everything is cleaned and evaluated for the punch list. Finally, the last touch ups are done.
Each phase has 8 construction steps. A step is a grouping of like-kind construction tasks. The steps must be completed in a particular order. Every step has a list of prerequisite steps to specify the ordering. The list of prerequisite steps contains all prior steps that must be completed before this step can begin. Very few construction projects use all 48 construction steps. We only use the steps we need for the project.
This PDF Document product explains each of the 48 construction steps and the prerequisite steps in full detail. It also has a full-page, concise, and easy to read overview table and prerequisite flowchart diagram. The product also contains prerequisite long listings, the magic that makes the SHV Project Timeline Template work effortlessly!
The SHV Construction Sequence is designed to be used with the SHV Construction Scope Of Work Software to create a detailed, organized, and sequenced scope of work. The scope of work is used with the SHV Project Timeline Template to create the SHV Project Timeline. This timeline graphically shows the progress for the project while construction is underway!
What it is
- A PDF Document.
- The SHV Construction Sequence.
- Delivered digitally and available for instant download.
What it is NOT
- SHV Contract With General Contractor. Please see D01 SHV Contract With General Contractor for that!
- SHV Scope of Work Software. Please see D03 SHV Scope Of Work Software for that!
- SHV Project Timeline Template. Please see D04 SHV Project Timeline Template for that!
- All products in the SHV Construction Products Collection. Please see SHV Construction Products Collection for that!
- Tools that do project estimation for you. Please see SHV Project Estimation Products Collection for that!
Start your journey to profitable house flipping today!
These products are ideal for any serious real estate investor, whether experienced or just starting out, who would like an example of a successful model for house flipping.
All products are delivered digitally, and are available for instant download.